Alfiya Khan | October 6, 2015

Source:The Indian Express

16 schools are still holding out against admissions, education department has initiated process for de-recognition and action for contempt of court.

Of all the cities in Maharashtra, Pune has the highest number of students selected for RTE admissions as well as those refused admissions, according to statistics available with the directorate of primary education of Maharashtra.

It shows that until October 5, 1231 and 1311 students had been denied admissions under the RTE quota at the entry-level of Class I and pre-primary sections, respectively, in the city.

Of the 1231-odd refusals at the Class I-level, state education department figures show that 669 students are from Pune alone, followed by Aurangabad (305), Thane (148), Mumbai (57), Raigad (31), Nagpur (11), Solapur (4) and three each in Nashik and Latur. At least 3173 students from Pune were selected for admissions under RTE round I. At the pre-primary level, of the 1311 students refused admissions under round I, 670 are from Pune followed by Thane (460), Mumbai (89), Raigad (73), Nashik (7), Aurangabad (6), three in Solapur and one in Latur.

A total of sixteen schools in Pune have registered the major part of the resistance, according to officials who have held multiple meetings with the school managements and sent several communications to education commissioner Purshottam Bhapkar on the issue. A report sent four days ago by Ramchandra Jadhav, deputy director of education, after a final meeting with school representatives on September 29, says that the 16 schools have 398 such admissions between them.

“The maximum problem over RTE admissions is being witnessed in Pune. On one hand while we have initiated the process of de-recognition of these schools, we have to also ensure that the students do not lose another academic year. So, we have asked the education officer to prepare a letter and conduct remaining admissions through offline process,” said Dinkar Temkar, deputy director of education (primary), Maharashtra.

Pune Municipal Corporation education officer Baban Dahiphale said, “We cannot conduct round II admissions until we complete round I. So, now we are preparing a list of available seats in other schools, willing to give RTE quota admissions.”

Last week, the final deadline for completing RTE round I admissions by the school education department came to an end. Later, schools were warned that contempt of court notices would be filed against them for defying court orders to complete RTE admissions. They were also warned of dire action such as de-recognition.

Jadhav said that representatives of the 16 schools that had continued to refuse RTE quota admissions attended the meeting on September 29.

The names of schools and total admissions remaining are Millenium School (53), Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan (23), Paranjpe School, Abhinav English Medium School (41), Vikhe Patil Memorial School (32), SPM English School (19), SPM Public School (6), Huzurpaga School at Laxmi Road and Katraj (12 and 21), Seva Sadan English Medium School (15), Sahyadri School (7), Orchid School (14), New India School (42), Gurukul School (9), two schools of Dr Kalmadi Shamrao School (5 and 35).

“We had given them a final chance to give admissions and avoid contempt of court, but so far, we haven’t received a word from any on starting the admission process,” said Dahiphale.