TIMES NEWS NETWORK,Jul 27, 2015,
Source: The Times of India

Mumbai: Even as the Bombay high court, earlier this month, asked the state government to conduct admissions under the Right to Education Act’s 25% quota, at both the pre-primary and Class I levels, over 650 students who have been allotted a seat are yet to secure admissions. Following the HC order, only 12 students confirmed the admissions after the HC order.

The HC had instructed the state to withdraw a government resolution dated April 30, which allowed schools to cancel RTE admissions at the pre-primary level. Though the BMC, which is the implementing agency , restarted the RTE admissions post the order, between July 10 and 21, only 12 new admissions were confirmed. Out of 4,104 applicants only 1,404 have been admitted.

“We had kept the admission portal on but not many turned up to seek admission and many schools continue to not abide by the rules Admissions are still open,“ said a civic official.

The BMC will also conduct a second round of admissions for children who failed to get a seat in round one. “We can decide on the second round dates only after the first round backlog is cleared,“ said the official.